Every sister who stands for truth and righteousness diminishes the influence of evil. Every sister who strengthens and protects her family is doing the work of God. Every sister who lives as a woman of God becomes a beacon for others to follow and plants seeds of righteous influence that will be harvested for decades to come.
- Elder Ballard

Doctrine and Covenants 84:106

And if any man among you be strong in the Spirit, let him take with him him that is weak, that he may be edified in all meekness, that he may become strong also.

D&C 84:106

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sister Spotlight: Sis. Dejong



Sis. DeJong won't be with us much longer, and I didn't want to miss out on sharing her sweet answers. We really will miss her and I personally am very sad I didn't get to know her better.




Julie DeJong
Birthday:  May 23, 1962


Where are you from:  Born and raised in Utah (parents house is just below the Bountiful Temple)


How did you meet your spouse:  Lagoon is an amusement part like Wild Adventures.  I was a lifeguard at the pool.   The pool opened the week after my 16th birthday.  Just before closing, 2 guys walked in, the one folded his arms and surveyed the area as if he owned it.  My immediate thought was "now there's a guy that would be fun to go out with, but you wouldn't want to marry him!"  Almost 3 years later we were married.


Tell us about your family:  After over 31 years of marriage I have separated from my husband and have filed for divorce.  I have two totally wonderful kids.  Chelsey is 28, living and working in Salina, Kansas (I will be joining her in a few weeks).  Michael is 25 and has just move back to Atlanta.  He has moved in with his sweet fiance and her younger sister (Christina has custody of her 16 year old sister since the death of their mother last year).  I count Jennifer and Andrew Dunn as my kids also.
They are the most incredible young men and women!  I love, admire and treasure each one of them so much!


What is your favorite hymn:    I am a Child of God  (I also love I Stand All Amazed, I Need Thee Every Hour, and all the Christmas hymns!)


What is your favorite scripture:  That changes depending on what I'm going through at the time.  Matthew 5:16 is one that I have been working on lately.    Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.


What is your favorite treat:  My caramel corn, strawberry shortcake, strawberry cheesecake, chocolate mousse pie, my frosting on most anything, dutch apple pie.............  I could go on and on and on


Tell us any 3 things about yourself:   I love my family more than I can express.

Life is so much easier and better when you trust God completely.  I'm so grateful to know that God loves and forgives me (even though I know I am a very stubborn, difficult child).  He has blessed me so much, 

I "discovered" photography last year. It became an instant passion, my mental-health therapy and borders on obsession at times!  I hope  to find the time and patience to learn how to properly do all the different techniques and principals I want to master.  I would love to become good enough to turn it into a new career.  It makes me so grateful for the beautiful  world that surrounds us and I love discovering    "hidden treasures" unexpected places.

I also want to tell you all how much you have meant to me.  This is an amazing ward.  You are so special to me.  Your support, the examples that you all are, your love and acceptance has made my years here the best years of my life (at least spiritually).  They've been the hardest physically and mentally that I hope I have to endure on this earth.  You have given me strength, patience, gratitude, entertainment, peace and so much more.  I'm sure you didn't have a clue that you were giving me a gift with your smiles and encouraging words.  I'm sure you haven't realized how much watching your precious children's faces in church as they tried your patience; helped heal the wounds my heart had endured.  The wonderful examples of your kids as they became teens and young adults;  challenged, inspired and gave me strength.  You have let your light shine before me to guide me from darkness.  I have seen your good works which have glorified God and healed my soul.  I am eternally grateful and will miss you all very much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment